Have you heard?! No more late fees! Both Ruth Culver Community Library and Sauk City Public Library are going fine free on March 1st. This only applies to items checked out at our libraries and fines will still be assessed on equipment checked out at RCCL. Please join us on the 1st for snacks and celebrations!
Why Fine Free?
This is a very exciting time for our library and we've noticed that this catches many of you by surprise. Here are some of the reasons why we chose to go fine free on most materials.
- Fines disproportionately affect low-income families and create a barrier to using the library.
- Research shows no difference in overdue rates between libraries charging fines and libraries not charging fines.
- The library incurs expenses to collect fines including staff time handling fine disputes, fine collection, and billing postage.
- Fear of accumulating fines stops some people from using the library or causes them to limit checkouts.
- Fines don’t serve our goal of supporting a vibrant and literate community with access to a wide array of materials.